Orthorexia

Apparently fixation with healthy eating can be sign of serious psychological disorder. This is one I do not suffer from but I know a few who do.
Pure food obsession is latest eating disorder "Orthorexics commonly have rigid rules around eating. Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions. Any foods that have come into contact with pesticides, herbicides or contain artificial additives are also out.

The obsession about which foods are 'good' and which are 'bad' means orthorexics can end up malnourished. Their dietary restrictions commonly cause sufferers to feel proud of their 'virtuous' behaviour even if it means that eating becomes so stressful their personal relationships can come under pressure and they become socially isolated."

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:20 am

    This sounds like the opposite extreme of the Fat Acceptance Movement. Both of which seem very unhealthy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to strike a happy medium with food and don't eat much packaged crap. Can't seem to find that balance with wine though I do try. Mr. Nag and I go out for lunch once a week and I have a toasted clubhouse with fries. It always leaves me thirsty and phlegmy but it's my little treat and I enjoy it and that's important too. I suspect that constant self-denial can make one mean.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter