Saturday, November 15, 2008

The philosopher and the wolf


The Philosopher and the Wolf is the story of Mark Rowlands' 11 year relationship with Brenin, his pet wolf and best friend. Many years ago when I worked as production assistant at CITY-TV we had some wolves and their owner as guests on a show I was working on. They were just like big, beautiful, lovable dogs and I wanted to bring them home with me. I'm a sucker for a good animal story, especially when the first paragraph makes me cry:
Brenin never lay down in the back of the Jeep. He always liked to see what was coming. Once, many years ago, we had driven from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, all the way to Miami - around 800 miles - and back again. And he stood every inch of the way: his hulking presence blocking out much of the sun and all of the rear traffic. But this time, on this short drive into Béziers, near the village where we were living in the Languedoc, he wouldn't stand; couldn't stand. It was then I knew he was gone. I was taking him to the place where he would die.

The Philosopher and the Wolf : Lessons from the Wild on Love, Death and Happiness' by Mark Rowlands

No comments:

Post a Comment