Saturday, March 31, 2007

Give Me A Hint Mr. Harper

I've been asked to work on a federal election campaign in a riding where the NDP candidate has a very good shot at winning. The party lost by only a few percentage points there last time. Of course I want to work it but, because we don't have set election dates at the federal level, it's really hard to commit. The Toronto Star is pushing the idea of a mid-April call which is when I am leaving for Sicily. The Globe agrees that an election call may be imminent but also speculates Harper may wait until December or even decide to hold off until after the 2008 federal budget. Who knows what I'll be doing then? For all I know I could be part of the first colony of Canadians on Mars. Personally I believe that Canadians don't want another election right now. Harper et al. may be riding high in the polls but they may want to look at the slapdown Ontario voters gave Premier Peterson in 1990 when he called an early election to take advantage of the numbers.
Oh well, I might as well pull out my List of political catch phrases just to make sure I'll be ready whenever it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment