Sunday, January 07, 2024

Sunday Links

Image: ADT Tourane/JC Coutand

An opulent Belle Epoque manor in the Loire Valley for just €1,590,000? Looks pretty sweet, doesn’t it? 

Before you buy the mansion above listen to this piece on CBC Radio’s Cost of Living about swapping a Canadian home for a European castle (starts at the 16:16 mark). There are caveats.

The haunting song of the last Kauai ‘o’o is the saddest sound I’ve ever heard.

100 tiny changes to transform your life: everything from walking outdoors everyday to rescuing trapped bees to jousting. I am going to try standing on one foot while brushing my teeth to improve balance.

Why food always looks better in commercials.

Vivian Gordon was a reputed prostitute and blackmailer whose murder in 1931 led to the downfall of New York Mayor Jimmy Walker. Mystery writers of the time offered explanations of how the killing might have happened.

Wondrous - a poem by Sarah Freligh

“Here in Mahone Bay, about forty miles southwest of Halifax, Nova Scotia, I am at the site of the most intensive treasure hunt in history, a hunt that has lasted 193 years, cost millions of dollars, and killed six men.” The Mystery of Oak Island (via Things Magazine)

Literary Hub’s Most Anticipated Books of 2024 There are 230 on the list. I am trying to restrain myself from purchasing more than I can read.

The Real Ziggy Stardust and other stories of rock and roll psychosis.

Jacob’s a smart cookie. Adorable. (via everlasting blort)

This surprised me: The True Size of Australia

“I suggest you sleep with this SMEG under your pillow. Because the only thing that can stop a bad guy with exquisite taste in Tuscan-style espresso is a moderate suburban Democrat with exquisite taste in Tuscan-style espresso.” The 2023 Hater’s  Guide To The Williams-Sonoma Catalog (via Rusty’s Electric Dreams)

The Chawed Rosin has posted some of her favourite movies of 2023.  I’m bookmarking these because if she liked them I know I will too.

The greatest thing since sliced bread via Miss Cellania

$300k for a pet fish? These pets have become a status symbol. They even have their own fish beauticians who provide eye lifts, chin jobs, and tail alterations.

Inmates of Chile’s largest prison are cat guys

As the year begins I‘ve been surfing Minimalist Baker’s vegan recipes and am feeling inspired. There’s a White Bean Pot Pie Soup that has my name on it( I’ll steam my own veggies though because I have nasty memories of the frozen mixed type).

Rocket the needy iguana. via blort

When a little knowledge is a bad thing: Medical Students’ Disease

No comments:

Post a Comment