Monday, July 31, 2023

Survival in Likely Target Areas In The Event of Nuclear Attack

The Cuban Missile Crisis lasted from 16 to 28 October 1962. The Soviet Union had stationed nuclear missiles in Cuba and that action brought the world to the edge of nuclear war. Canadian armed forces were placed on heightened alert. As a young child I remember air raid alerts, duck and cover drills and the Diefenbunker. I was certain that the commies were going to blow us all to kingdom come.

The Emergency Measures Organization prepared  publications to assist Canadians in major cities which might be target areas in the event of nuclear war. Survival in LikelyTarget Areas is the fifth in the series. I don’t remember seeing it but, if I had, I doubt that it would have made me feel any safer.



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:14 am

    A common remark at the time was, move closer to a target, you don't want to be around after.
    xoxoxoBruce

    ReplyDelete