Sunday, November 13, 2022

Sunday Links

Weird: "A ghost town Disneyland, minus the fun"

Portland writer Hob Broun required spinal surgery to remove a tumor that resulted in his paralysis. Subsequently, he wrote two books by blowing air through a tube that activated the specially outfitted keyboard of a computer.  Read Municipal Noir, a very dark, very good, very short story.

See The Neon Museum of Philadelphia before it closes at the end of this year. (Thanks Bruce!)

The new US Congress will run from the Silent Generation all the way to Gen Z

If I invite you for dinner in the near future I'll likely cook this Chicken Karahi Recipe. It looks easy, is made in one dish and makes enough to serve to guests. 


This is worth reading: They sat on the sofa. Michael took a deep breath and began, “I think I'm the evil, damned son of the devil." Swamp Boy Medical Mystery

Tunnel Below Niagara Falls I live 15 minutes from the Falls and this new attraction but haven't been yet. Next time folks visit from out of town I'll take them there.


I'm looking forward to reading so many of these: The New Yorker Best Books of 2022 

Like social justice and kittens? You might like this calendar. (via web curios)

NORMAN: All we wanted was an edit button. Norman Bates Checks Out of Twitter
(via PfRC)


Mount Fuji Eraser (via everlasting blort)

The Mansion On O Street: Is it a museum? Is it a hotel? Is it a non-profit organization? It depends on who you are.

Groceteria.com is a site about the history of American and Canadian urban chain supermarkets, from the 1920s through the present, with an emphasis on buildings and locations. It makes me nostalgic. (Via Things Magazine)

This Mushroom Shaped Pendant Lamp is grown from real fungi.

My Radiation Baby I love scopitones.

No fish died in the making of this piece of performance art. Les Aquamen 


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:48 am

    I seem to recall that abandoned fairyland is in the middleast somewhere.
    Municipal Noir was weird, By the Numbers even more so. Swamp Boy is frightening, a friend had Lyme disease and PA law says the Doctor can’t give you the antibiotics for more than 30 days unless you’re hospitalized. That wasn’t an option so he died.
    I read about that Niagara tailrace tunnel being opened to the hoi polloi, that’s pretty cool. It's a long tunnel, imagine a wall of water Indiana jones style coming down the tunnel.
    The link to who’s going to get the ball doesn’t work
    xoxoxoBruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "disneyland" is in Turkey. Thanks for telling me about the dead link, I've removed it.

      Delete