Monday, June 09, 2014

'Lovelocks' collapse Paris bridge rail

Part of the parapet of the world famous Pont Des Arts bridge in Paris has collapsed under the weight of the growing number of locks that had been attached. The practice is called “love-locking”. Couples  take a padlock, write a romantic note on it,  clamp it onto a bridge, throw the key into the water below and it remains as a permanent marker of their affection.





I took the photo above when I was in Paris a few weeks ago. I find nothing romantic about destroying these historic structures. The craze has spread throughout the world and is apparently inspired by I Want You, the 2006 novel by Federico Moccia.



More: BBC News

3 comments:

  1. I saw pictures of locks on the chain hand rails along those gazillion feet in the air Chinese cliff side boardwalks.
    Stupid and dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to start a new business, and get zillions of minimum wage workers selling cheap chinese padlocks at booths near bridges all around the world.

    I'll remember you when I'm rolling in my millions.
    How many bridges are near Niagara?
    Want a job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the lock sellers should moonlight as civil servants who remove locks. Big money to be made.

    No one puts locks or anything else on Niagara bridges because they are international and heavily monitored by both US and Canadian border authorities. Sorry to burst your bubble.

    ReplyDelete