Stephen Lewis's Eulogy For Jack Layton

One year ago on this day I woke to the news that Jack had died. Tears ensued. Along with so many other Canadians I felt bereft. I had the honour of working on Jack's team and any time I had personal contact with him I was struck by his friendliness, his optimism and his remarkable energy. The absence of the cynicism one sees so often in politicians who have been around the block a few times set him above and apart from the rest. He inspired deep loyalty and dedication in those he worked with and it breaks my heart that he left us so early. All this has been said before and more eloquently by others and I think this eulogy by another inspiring New Democrat, Stephen Lewis, says it best of all:

Never in our collective lifetime have we seen such an outpouring, so much emotional intensity, from every corner of this country. There have been occasions, historically, when we've seen respect and admiration but never so much love, never such a shocked sense of personal loss.
Read the entire eulogy at rabble.ca

Comments

  1. Can't believe it is already a year! I went to Nathan Phillips Square last year to read the outpourings of sympathy and loss. I hear they are writing more today on this anniversary, I hope to go down there today.
    I also want to see the sculpture that Olivia made.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter