Who Was The Electric Pencil?



This is the sad yet fascinating story of Missouri outsider artist James Edward Deeds Jr. (1908-1987). Incarcerated for his entire adult life in a State Lunatic Asylum, he created a notebook filled with 280 drawings. After his death the handmade album was found on a trash heap by a 14 year old boy who kept it for many years.




The “Electric Pencil” drawings were eventually purchased by artist Harris Diamant of NYC, whose  research finally identified the artist. Today Deeds' work is represented by Hirschl & Adler Modern in New York and his drawings sell for $16,000 apiece.
Electric Pencil Drawings Via Design Observer

(Just when I've been considering setting my blog aside for awhile I came across this and my interest in blogging is renewed.)

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:51 pm

    "my interest iin blogging is renewed."

    Good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:36 am

    I love you, nagonthelake

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't leave your name people will think I left that comment myself. But if you love me I love you too (even if I don't know who you are).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter