Friday, August 26, 2011

Master the Delicate Art of Social Media Etiquette

Details has posted comedian Nick Kroll's helpful tips on the etiquette of social media use. Here are some examples:

  • Don't give me constant updates of where you are eating or shopping. The only person who cares about that is your stalker, and the real joy for him is the hunt.
  • If I send you a text and you don't respond and then I see you tweet something or post something on Facebook, I know that you are straight up ignoring me. Just remember that everyone on the Internet is taking note of your goings-on and judging you all the time. Isn't that comforting?
  • Let's take it easy on the hashtags, folks. It's fun to build on others' ideas, but the long-hashtag-as-a-punchline needs to be well thought out. And, BTW, capitalize the first letter of each new word. #AmIRightLadiesWhoAmIKiddingNoOneWillReadThisArticleImSoDesperatelyAloneWhatShouldITweetNext
  • Do not tag me in photos that I am not in to get me to look at them. This little game does not ingratiate you to me, it makes me hate you. All I do all day is look for photos of myself on the Internet, and when I am pic-teased, I get super-angry about it. Do not be a pic-tease
    • More here - Via

    4 comments:

    1. Anonymous10:38 am

      But I always give updates about where I'm eating - it's what I do for a living!

      I agree about the fake photo tagging though - hate that.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Don't take it personally, Azahar, I'm sure that food writers are exempt from his scathing criticism.

      ReplyDelete
    3. ...and if you request to be 'my friend', and I ignore you once...and then twice...I have to wonder why you would still want to be my friend.
      Just go away...please.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Anonymous7:47 am

      I wouldn't call myself a food writer, but did you see where I was mentioned in the Wall Street Journal?? (see my blog)

      ReplyDelete