Monday, June 07, 2010

The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl


The forthcoming exhibition "The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl" at the Nasher Museum of Art explores the relationship of sound, artistry and vinyl through the works of 41 artists dating back to 1960.
Years ago vinyl was my thing. I read record reviews religiously and would trot off to Sam the Record Man on Yonge St. to purchase whatever was recommended by Rolling Stone, making a sizable dent in my minimum wage salary. I had a collection that was the envy of many, all organized alphabetically within their various genres. I knew Mr. Nag and I would stay together when we made the decision to get rid of our duplicate albums. Later, when we moved from Toronto to Niagara on the Lake, we got rid of hundreds of albums at our goodbye garage sale. The woman who took them off our hands had to make three runs in her station wagon to get them all home; I wonder if she ever listened to them. I still have a couple of hundred albums gathering dust and warping quietly in some dark corner but alas I no longer have a turntable. Why do I keep them? Nostalgia for the good old days I suppose.
Anyhow, the show at the Nasher Museum of Art is right up my alley and I'd definitely go if it weren't so far away.
Link

2 comments:

  1. Sue Dunham9:35 am

    If for nothing else, keep them for the covers. Nothing since has equalled LP cover art.
    And you can roll joints on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I shook out the covers I could probably get enough weed to roll a joint but it would definitely be past its best before date.

    ReplyDelete