Monday, October 05, 2009

Adieu Gourmet

In my youth Gourmet represented the pinnacle of taste and sophistication. I bought it every month and attempted, often unsuccessfully, to reproduce the recipes it contained. Some, like the olives in pastry, will live on in my repertoire. Others won't.


Condé Nast Publications is closing Gourmet and four of its other speciality magazines in an attempt to weather the economic downturn.

Gourmet, which won a National Magazine Award for its photography this year, is the oldest food magazine in the U.S., having debuted in the 1940s.

5 comments:

  1. I still have a 3 months left on my Gourmet subscription!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you via Beancounters and am enjoying looking at your blog and enjoying your wit and point of view in general. I hope my interest does not make your interests less interesting to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, Hattie. Nice to make your acquaintance and to find a new blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, heartbroken news ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel guilty that I only purchased it sporadically in recent years.

    ReplyDelete