Anyone else disturbed by this?

Sufjan Stevens – John Wayne Gacy Jr : clusterflock

Comments

  1. Sharktooth7:21 pm

    I really don't know what to make of this.

    I'm glad I grew up in an era before music videos. The music used to stand up on it's own. I've seen so many stupid and pointless videos that completely destroy the song. I think this is one of them. I keep asking myself, what is the point.

    Music videos tend to prove that most musicians are complete idiots when it comes to lyrics. You can't give them the benefit of the doubt when the partner their tunes with such obvious dreck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The images of the toddler who would grow up to be a serial killer made me unbelievably sad. Like you, I can't see any point to the exercise. That said, I posted it

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that Sufjan Stevens can't see that his metaphor ("I have secrets under my floorboards just like Gacy") is off balance says a lot about his work generally. His eccentricity is kind of admirable but I'd much rather listen to Daniel Johnston. I expect, speaking about this piece, he'd refer to Gacy as a folk legend, an American monster, and, so, acceptable as symbol. Whether the Gacy home movies damage that concept by making the man more human is another question.

    If you haven't heard him before try Illinois (part of a project to make fifty albums named for the US states) or his Christmas songs which can be found free on the Net.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m a Stevens fan. I love his sweet voice and his delicate phrasing. I'd like this song if I had no idea what it was about.
    Daniel Johnston's tragic life makes me feel even sadder. After seeing "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" I can't bear to listen to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of Sufjan Stevens, but this video did unnerve me. Which I guess is its intent.

    I also hear you on Daniel Johnston. Some friends of mine went and saw him when he was last in Toronto, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what Don would think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter