China Gold at the Aristide Maillol Museum


I visited the home and burial place of sculptor Aristide Maillol in Banyuls-sur-mer last spring and made a promise to myself to visit the Paris Museum dedicated to his work. I was doubly pleased when I found that the museum was hosting an exhibit of the work of modern Chinese artists.
Visitors to the exhibition are greeted by a sculpture of a large golden astronaut with a missing finger by Sheng Qi, followed by provocative paintings, prints and numerous images mixing photography and other media. Sheng Qi, who after the events of Tiananmen, cut off his finger and buried it in a flower-pot before leaving China only to return to his country years later.

I really enjoyed it. They didn't allow photos but I snapped a couple of surreptitious ones.
Does this Mao make me look thin? I thought so.

Here's a Maillol sculpture:

Comments

Statcounter