Hola!

I'm loving Barcelona. It's a very pedestrian friendly city with lots of streets closed to cars. The architecture is stunning. When I was a teenager I had a boyfriend who introduced me to Antonio Gaudi - not in the flesh of course, I'm not that old - and I've wanted to go to Barcelona ever since . I've dreamed of seeing his masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia . I knew it's been under construction forever but I had no idea the interior remained so undone. The target date for completion is 2030 so it's unlikely I'll ever see it finished. I enjoyed the tour of his Casa Mila much more. Like all the other gawking tourists I'm getting a stiff neck from craning to see all the interesting spires and chimneys on the rooftops.
A big surprise was the large colony of wild parrots that we've seen all over the place. They add a certain exotic touch but unfortunately they moved too quickly for me to get any pics.
Here's a little of what I've seen so far - make sure to click on them to biggify:






Do you like the dog with the mohawk? The owner had another dog that was shaved like a lion but it preferred running on the beach to posing for photos.
It's adios to Barcelona tomorrow when we travel up the coast to Banyuls in France where we've rented a house for 10 days.

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:45 pm

    Really extraordinary architecture! Beautiful and sensuous.

    Bon voyage en France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:40 pm

    If you go to the park next to the Sagrada Familia you'll see those quakers on the ground eating with the pigeons...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw them there first and then I saw many more at Park Guell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:13 pm

    My wife and I speculated that the nests would span all the way across Park Guell in a few more years if somethine wasn't done.

    Word has it that Barcelona will be exterminating the poor creatures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They've tried to pass bills in San Francisco to eradicate the parrots there and are currently trying to pass a bill banning feeding of the parrots. Have you seen the film "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill"? It's a great story about those birds. Go to http://www.markbittner.net/parrots_central.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter