Saturday, November 10, 2007

You have issues with food? Stay home!

Just read this New York Times article on the current crop of food fascists, top dog in my menagerie of my pet peeves. Anyone who knows me will agree that I am far from perfect but I eat what's put in front of me, never ask for substitutions (even in a restaurant) and if I'm fortunate enough to be a guest in someone's home would never be so rude as to dictate what I am to be fed. If people want to be food primadonnas they should pass on dinner invitations altogether; they should stay home where they can sup on gruel or low-fat tasteless fare to their heart's content. The behaviour described below is rude and insulting and anyone who did this in my house would never be invited back (and yes, in case you're wondering, I am foaming at the mouth right now):
Nothing over the course of many years of having dinner parties prepared me for the list, provided without request, by the couple I invited to my new Los Angeles home. It contained the items they would not consume: no red meat; no dairy; fish only if grilled, but no salmon; and please, no button mushrooms. Once at my table to eat their prenegotiated meal of grilled tuna and dry couscous, the husband spotted flecks of garlic in the mango salsa and recoiled, demanding to know if he had indeed spied a mote of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment