Monday, April 30, 2007

A Taste From The Past

It's been years since I thought about spruce beer. I used to drink it when I was a little girl in Montreal. Suddenly I hated it, couldn't abibe its sprucey taste. Last night I had a dream that I was with my sister in a park in Ville St. Pierre and we were knocking back spruce beer. Now I've got a weird hankering for it. Anyone know if /where spruce beer is sold in southern Ontario?
Here's the Wikipedia lowdown on it:
In the Canadian province of Quebec, spruce beer is an artificially flavoured non-alcoholic carbonated soft drink.
Despite its name, its flavour bears little resemblance to beer, and instead smells and tastes of more of
evergreens. It is widely available in supermarkets, while alcoholic spruce beer is available only in specialty shops and some old time taverns. In Quebec it is known in French as bière d'épinette.

No comments:

Post a Comment