Saw Two Flicks This Weekend

Schultze Gets the Blues sounded promising and had won all sorts of awards:
Schultze is a retired lignite miner living in an East German village and a passionate Polka musician on his accordion. One night he listens to a Zydeco tune in the radio, which changes his taste of music radically. Notwithstanding his complete ignorance of the English language he starts a trip into the heart of the Zydeco; to Louisana.

I thought I'd love it but I didn't. Now I'm not a fan of action flicks but I do like something to happen in a movie. I found this one almost unbearably slow. I didn't want to be blown away but this movie was as uneventful as Schultze's retirement. The premise was filled with promise but didn't deliver.

I did enjoy the award winning documentary, My Architect , Nathaniel Kahn's quest to understand his long-dead father, legendary architect, Louis Kahn. We also develop an understanding of the elder Kahn, a complex man who had a charismatic effect on people, especially upon the two women who mothered his illegitimate children, Nathaniel being one. Some of the most celebrated architects of the day are interviewed as well as the women, taxi drivers and Nathaniel's siblings. Nathaniel travels a long path through understanding to forgiveness and we walk along it with him. Kahn's architectural accomplishments, though few, are breathtaking, especially the Capital Complex in Bangladesh which he did not live to see completed.

Comments

Statcounter