Where the Truth Lies and Brokeback Mountain


The first thing that struck me about this film was the set design. I just loved the glass walled mansion cantilevered over the Hollywood Hills, just like something out of a 1960's Architectural Digest. This is a noirish murder mystery starring Colin Firth and Kevin Bacon as a Martin and Lewis type duo (only even less funny) who may have been involved in the murder of a young woman. This murder may also have spelled the end of their professional collaboration. They are two truly nasty dudes who are loved for the polio telethons they do. Alison Lohman is a journalist and former polio victim who wants to write a book about the pair. She's beautiful and innocent but her attempt to uncover what lies beneath leads to the loss of that innocence. I thought her performance was weak and that this was the movie's major flaw. But there were enough twists and turns to keep it interesting and I enjoyed the ironic trashiness of it all.
Also, at long last, I saw Brokeback Mountain. I don't know what I was expecting after all the hype but it seemed a little soap operaish to me. If a male-female story of "forbidden love" had been treated the same way it would be considered too mawkish by half. Great scenery though and convincing performances.

Comments

Statcounter