Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Poor Little Monkey

They did it to me again! I saw King Kong and found myself getting a little teary. I cry at nearly every movie I watch lately. Strangely, Munich a genuinely tragic story and all too true, elicited nary a sniffle from yours truly. I guess real human suffering can't compare to some Hollywood confection.When Kong was brutally shot down I had to wipe my tears, square my shoulders and give myself a shake. There is no giant ape with a sensitive side, one that plays gently with the girl he loves and gazes wistfully at sunsets after a long day of raptor killing. I've been manipulated. A very good example of how film makers and advertizers toy with our feelings is the IKEA commercial about the :: Poor Poor Lamp that was left to rust in the rain. Funny what a little soft lighting and sad music can do. I was almost ready to start a sanctuary for abandoned lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment