Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Low Expectations - Pleasantly Surprised

I kept hearing about the movies Before Sunrise and Before Sunset but had no interest in seeing anything starring Ethan Hawke. However, after recommendations from a couple of people I respected, I broke down, rented them and am glad I did. The first movie is about two young people who meet on a train and spend a night walking around Vienna. The sequel takes place nine years later and is filmed in Paris in real time. The two cities are the real stars of these movies. Before Sunset has been nominated for a screenplay Oscar and rightly so because the film is the dialogue. These are romantic films that ring true - ideal for Valentines Day. Ultimately I felt that I knew Jesse and Celine and, surprisingly, I liked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment