Sunday, April 07, 2024

Sunday Links



Eclipse Glasses 1932 - They were marketed as the Eclipse-O-Scope and sold for 10¢.

To the train lady with dark brown hair What are the chances of real romance via a ‘missed connection’?

I spent a few years of my life watching episodes of Mad Men (all 92 of them three times over). The show was set in the days before dirty martinis or cosmopolitans and I watched Don Draper drink rivers of old school Old Fashioneds. If you’re in an MCM state of mind here’s a recipe for Don’s favourite cocktail.

Packaging the First LSD Blotter Eric Ghost disguised his acid as film stock promising “brilliant color.” Each sheet was wrapped inside mylar, which not only protected the acid from damaging UV light, but also discouraged suspicious parties from opening the package on a whim, potentially destroying unexposed film. (via The new shelton wet/dry)

Emails from my dentist that would actually make me schedule an appointment.

“To be a Woman and a pedestrian in the city can be combative and exhausting but some­times it reminds me that I am in charge and that I will propel myself forward, always forward.” An Ode to Women Who Walk


There’s more to eclipse viewing than just looking up. Alternative options for watching the eclipse.


Do you like location guessing games? I just spent an afternoon playing some. Maps Mania offers some free alternatives to GeoGuessr.


In 1975 the Carnation Revolution came to San Miguel in Portugal’s Azores.

Ron's Place: A house decorated with fantastical art by its owner Ron Gittins, and only discovered after he died, is granted listed status in recognition of its artistic achievements.


The storyboards for Alfred Hitchcock’s films, including the ones for Spellbound which Taylor found in a bric-a-brac sale (feuilleton)

Do you need to unwind for a bit? One Minute Park takes you to a park somewhere in the world for exactly 60 seconds, after which it switches to a different scene. I like the dog parks best.  (via Webcurios)


This is lovely: You Go to My Head - Chet Baker (everlasting blort)

Skill of the Week: Escape From a Building Using Bedsheets ( I hope you never have to use this knowledge)

Why Is the Best Vodka From Costco?  I feel like I’m missing out. We can’t buy alcohol at Costco in Ontario. 

Mimesis - A poem by Fady Joudah

“For the record, The Shaman ordered his pizza topped with artichoke hearts, basil, chicken, and mushrooms.” An interview with the QAnon Shaman

From 1957: Get Up and Do The Wobble With Me by Tico and the Triumphs (aka Simon and Garfunkel) via Memo Of The Air

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:15 pm

    Now I have to gussy up my fireplace like Ron did.

    Duck Soups vodka led me on a daisy chain of links ending with 330 kb pdf of US liquor sales in 2022 of $89.35 Billion.

    Mimesis is fantastic!

    The entire article on the Qanon Shaman in Harpers reaffirmed my opinion he’s nuts. I didn’t know the Navy had booted him out for being nuts though.
    xoxoxoBruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chansley was wearing a horned fur hat, carried a spear and howled like a dog. He was nuts alright.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:14 pm

    Wishing you a safe and happy eclipse! Cyndicat x

    ReplyDelete