Thursday, April 18, 2024

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Teaser

 

 
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice. 
 
I first read One Hundred Years of Solitude the summer I was at home with my newborn son and that opening sentence is burned into my memory. I read the book during the brief periods when the baby slept and I associate it with the feel of the hot sun beating down on me while I worked on my tan in our pocket-sized back yard.  
It is a very complex novel and I’m interested in seeing how it translates to a mini-series. 

2 comments:

  1. Cien años is my all time favorite book. Like you, I read it first in the late 60's (in Hebrew, and since then i read it at least a dozen times in Danish and English). Like you, I can cite the whole first page, and many others verbatim. It's a perfect novel.

    I remember exactly when I was, at the main city hall in Copenhagen at night, reading the news as they flashed in lights on the billboards of the newspaper, announcing that Marquez was awarded the Nobel Prize ('81?, ''83?)...

    So I will absolutely **NOT** watch this Netflix product, which 100%, like 99% of everything Netflix touches, will surely be pure garbage, and make me want to commit first murder, then suicide.

    Nothing wrong with translating works of literature into cinema, but Marquez's world is too nuanced to be done successfully. The 2 previous adaptations of his novels that I saw were horrible too.

    Like Cicero, I must end every speech with "Damn Neflix! Damn you to hell!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanan, I have to agree. I still consider it one of the best novels I have ever read. It is a very dense, complex, non linear story and I can’t imagine it as a Netflix series.

      Delete