Sunday, February 11, 2024

Sunday Links


Arquitectura Libre is a colourful collation of the buildings of India and Mexico (image above). via Present and Correct


Notably, the rioters briefly paused to observe a respectful silence when a brass band began playing God Save The King, but then they went back to rioting. James McLeod: A lesson from Newfoundland's history: We can never take a break from democracy

How to find your dominant eye

Japanese food artist Daisuke uses raw fish, vegetables, rice, and baked goods as the medium for his Edible Miniatures

The exact moment a tv station switched from colour to black and white (April 14, 1967)


My Movie Theater: Isaac Fitzgerald on sneaking in concessions, shoplifting DVDs, and recreating the experience at home.


 Seven writers board a train. At the end of the line, five will leave it alive. One will be in cuffs. Everyone on This Train Is a Suspect is a mystery novel by Benjamin Stevenson that takes place on the Ghan, the famous train that goes from Darwin to Adelaide. I haven’t read it yet but have it bookmarked.

The 'Benjamin Button' effect: Scientists can reverse aging in mice. The goal is to do the same for humans. 

Turning beets into beats: Vienna's Vegetable Orchestra 

Do Elephants Have Souls? “There is mystery behind that masked gray visage, an ancient life force, delicate and mighty, awesome and enchanted, commanding the silence ordinarily reserved for mountain peaks, great fires, and the sea.”
– Peter Matthiessen

Check out this beautiful writing

King Charles III is being treated for cancer. That’s likely to mean a more prominent role for other senior members of the royal family. Here’s the current line of succession.

The Best Mews Streets in London Whenever I’ve visited London I’ve been drawn to these pretty, traffic-free streets and dreamed of living on one, preferably in Hampstead.  

I’m looking forward to making this mushroom bourguignon.


Fancy a pizza made in an active volcano? How about a 50 year old soup? 50 Places to Eat and Drink Before You Die 


These cute microscopic animals are basically indestructible and can survive a host of conditions that are too extreme to ever occur on Earth. What makes them so resilient? (via Memo Of The Air)

Here’s something you don’t see everyday: Kevin Bacon singing to a llama.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:31 pm

    What about when the object doesn’t stay centered with either eye?

    Loved “My Movie Theater”.

    Vienna’s’ vegetable orchestra is a vegan garage band or garbage band.

    That handwriting made me laugh. The last time I renewed my drivers license I had to sign it on a vertical screen with no place to rest my hand. I couldn’t read it.
    xoxoxoBruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get an eye exam!
      I seldom have occasion to write these days and I notice my penmanship has deteriorated.

      Delete