Sunday, December 31, 2023

Sunday Links

Zimmerman House and Kalil House - Currier Museum Manchester

The  Currier Museum in Manchester, New Hampsire is the only art museum in the world with two Frank Lloyd Wright homes (image above). Accessible by guided tour, they are the only Wright buildings open to the public in New England. A road trip in the New Year?

Wild Ride: Quarrymen in North Wales used to hurtle down a mountain on a homemade toboggan thingy.

Titans, countercultural icons, and rebels, a playlist of Musicians We Lost in 2023  (NYT link)


Did you know that baby scorpions are called scorplings? In the spirit of Tom Whitwell, Jason Kottke has kept a record of 52 Interesting Things he learned over the past year.

To Żubrówka and memories: A magical story-within-a-story framed by Zubrowka bison grass vodka. Read it. You’ll be glad you did.


I’m tempted to make this fancy feta tapenade tarte soleil because it looks so beautiful. One of the first cookbooks I ever bought was The Cuisine Of The Sun by Mireille Johnston and it had a similar recipe but, at the time, my culinary confidence was weak.

Signs That You’re Ready to Wear Taupe: You’ve been on the lookout for a cardigan in a colour that’s less edgy than “fawn” or “heather oatmeal.” Read more

How well do you know your cities? 2023 Cities Quiz

The 100 Best Bourbons Of 2023 I like a bit of bourbon but I would not pay $23,000US for a bottle, no matter how good someone says it is.


A fridge but in reverse I have one of these in my new home but I have no idea how it works.

Wow! Jasmine Rae de Lung makes cakes that are as much about process as they are the final product. (NYT link)

 Members of this family all have a 50-50 chance of inheriting a cruel genetic mutation — which means disappearing into dementia in middle age. Living with those odds.

Year’s End A poem by Richard Wilbur


Novelist Hanif Kureishi sustained life-changing injuries when he collapsed and landed on his head on Boxing Day last year. He has become a reluctant dictator

“Oh God, I don’t feel good. Look, my thumbs have gone weird! My heart’s beating like a fucked clock! I feel dreadful, I feel really dreadful,” to which Withnail responds, “So do I, so does everybody. Look at my tongue; it’s wearing a yellow sock.” The 10 best Fictional hangovers (a repost from 2010)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:19 pm

    Happy New Year. Here's to another year of your fantastic site! Kevin

    ReplyDelete