Sunday Links


Christiane Charlotte (Lotte) Elster's sketchbook of teens back in the day includes attires, hairstyles, activities and even names. The original is at Nordenfjeldske Kunstindustrimuseum in Trondheim. View in full at Digitalt Museum.(via)




I have discovered some of this shrub that is impossible to kill in a far corner of my garden. It has made me quite despondent. 

Visiting ridiculously weird attractions in every US state would be a great road trip to take if gas weren't so expensive. (I might skip the alligator petting zoo in Arkansas) Via Web Curious 

This week's house envy is a rebuilt Nieby Crofters Cottage

People living in a 15 Minute City can access all essential health, educational, retail and leisure needs within a short fifteen minute walk or bike ride. Do you live in one?I don't but often wish I did.

It would be fun to explore Scotland's witch trail during the Halloween season (my friend Alan dug this one up) 

George Orwell is coming to my inbox. and he'll come to yours if you like.



An intriguing story: How did a Baptist minister from Edward Hopper’s hometown come to own hundreds of pieces of the artist's works? (The New York Times)

Trailer for a documentary about what it's like to live in a house from a famous movie.

The Changeling Murder shows how myths could be weaponized against women who defied society’s mold.



Hipster Beer Names Would you be more or less likely to drink a beer named "I Hate Myself"? (via perfect for roquefort cheese)



Why would someone go on a Gone Girl–themed river cruise, or even a cruise in general? Why not? What I saw during eight deranged days with Gillian Flynn.(via Pocket)

There is an Arabian City in Florida (of all places!) that has the largest collection of Moorish Revival architecture in America.

She was one of thousands of people who are brought to New York hospitals each year, identified only as “unknown.” The Hermit Baroness  (NYT)

Comments

  1. I thought I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:51 pm

    Wow, lots of good material, even if you can't kill the knotweed you can control it. It's not bad looking just have to keep it from spreading. Feel sorry for the people who made their nose smaller thereby limiting their advance in business.
    xoxoxoBruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I talk about a section of my garden I mean an 8 by 10 ft. area that's back behind some evergreens. I seldom go back there and got a big surprise this year.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:32 am

      The master gardeners who teach at my local university said their best success with controlling the spread of knotweed is to dig up as much as they're able and immediately plant something else in its place so as to not give the invasive plant a chance to regrow in the same spot. A friend of mine said her best success is constant vigilance. She's completely removed it from her yard but has to keep an eye out for possible new growth trying to creep back in. I will say that if you can dig up the shoots when they're young they pickle really well. If you know your area doesn't have any ground contaminants then you can safely eat knotweed in a variety of ways. A few years ago I read about a restaurant (in NY I think?) that started adding knotweed to their menu because they had access to a lot. Guess if you can't beat the invasive species then you might as well eat it. That's what we've been doing at our house. There's a plot of land that borders one section of our yard that has so much knotweed I wouldn't even know where to begin attacking it. So we eat some of the new shoots and cut down some of the older growth to add to our fire pit stockpile, and do our best to hold the line, keeping the knotweed that's entrenched there from spreading further. Good luck to you! And thanks for keeping your blog going! This site is a regular Monday morning pit stop for me.

      Delete
    3. I know it can be done but I dread doing it as I have a HUGE garden. A couple of years ago I got rid of a 30 x 15 ft. patch of goutweed by spraying it and covering it with two layers of tarps which I covered with a thick layer of mulch. This year I found some anemic looking leaves peeping out from under the edges of the tarps where it had been growing undetected. I also dug up a perennial bed in another area of the garden and carefully pulled out the goutweed inch by inch because it returns if even a small part of the root is left in the ground. This year I found a couple in the perennial bed but I should be able to control those. There are times I think that gardening is just a war on nature.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Statcounter