Monday, March 01, 2021

Happy St. David's Day! Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!



My mother was born in Wales and I remember her mother singing Welsh songs as she went about her housework. Welsh is said to be one of the toughest Western European languages to master. St David’s Day presents the perfect opportunity to  try out a few Welsh phrases. Here are a couple to get you started:
Gwdihŵ:
The Welsh have some spectacularly good names for members of the animal kingdom. A ladybird is a ‘buwch goch gota’, which literally translates to ‘little red cow’! But perhaps the most evocative of all is the name given to everyone’s favourite nocturnal bird, the owl. In welsh, an owl is known as a gwdihŵ, pronounced ‘good-ee-hoo’ – perfectly mimicking the owl’s signature hoot.


Wnco mwnco:
Need to direct someone to a chap you know on the opposite side of the room? Point at them and announce, ‘wnco mwnco!’ Pronounced ‘oonkaw moonkaw’, it simply means ‘him over there’. (Nothing to do with monkeys, sadly.) Need to say, ‘her over there’? That one is ‘onco fonco’ (pronounced ‘onkaw vonkaw’).
More Welsh words: BBC Radio

And, while you're in the mood, why not bake up a batch of Welsh Cakes:


6 comments:

  1. Sadness. When my brothers and I went to school, if we spoke Welsh we would get detention, and my more strong willed brother received a caning for using our own language.
    And they wondered why we hated the English.
    Now I live in New Zealand, native name Aotearoa, where there is a government push to reinstate the Maori tongue, maybe making it compulsory in early school soon, but now changing road signs to bi-lingual ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother was fluent 100 years ago but she came to Canada when her children were very young and didn't pass the language on. I'm told there is now a push on by the government to increase the number of Welsh speakers and that it has been quite successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. xoxoxoBruce3:25 pm

    Why would governments and/or educators want to limit the ability of people to communicate? The less languages the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I visit some countries in Europe I'm amazed at the number of languages many people have mastered. My French is very poor considering I grew up in Quebec and my father was French Canadian.I wish I were fluent in more languages.

      Delete
  4. /Three Men/, from Walt Kelly's /Pogo, Stepmother Goose/ (I read this when I was ten and I'm 62 now, so some of it might not be exactly right; please correct it if you know better):

    There were three men of Gotam/ As I haue heard men say/ That needs wovd ride a-hvnting/ Vpon St. Dauid's Day.

    Tho' all the day they hvnting were/ Though no sport covd they see/ Vntil they spied an Owle as she sate in a tree.

    The first man said it was a Goose/ The second man said, Nay/ The third man said it was a Hawk/ But his bells were fall'n away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's similar to a nursery rhyme I knew as a child but if I remember correctly there was a hedgehog involved.

      Delete