Sunday Links


Jelly Cake That Looks Like A Koi Pond (above)

This Arts and Crafts beauty built in 1909 by Gustav Stickley is this week's house envy. I am totally smitten.

Defining the ’90s Music Canon: I apparently stopped listening to music after 1993.

Fairy Tale Windows Of Russia

Giotto, Arena (Scrovegni) Chapel (part 1) (video) Inside the chapel Giotto painted sequential scenes that narrate the life of Christ, beginning with the grandparents of Jesus and ending with the Last Judgement.

The Titanic Orphans Michal Navrátil thought he had gotten away with kidnapping, but it ended up costing him his life. Via Neatorama

El Topo: The original "acid western" Mr. Nag tells me we watched this when we were on a ski trip. I must have fallen asleep after a tough day on the slopes because I have zero recollection of it.

The 100 best books of the 21st century 

Mulletfest, a convention for those with mullets takes place in the small town of Kurri Kurri in Australia.

Cutlery in the age of Covid? My friend azahar posted these lovely stainless steel ones by Outlery that screw together and fit into a tiny box. They are also easy on the environment.

Should I Travel This Year? I guess I'm staying home.

More AI weirdness from Janelle Shane: Which AI-generated personality quiz are you? Remember, the AI is based on math, so it must be correct.

Maps Reveal the Oldest Operating Restaurants in Almost Every Country

The art of the Skagen Painters in Denmark captures universal summer activities – taking long walks on the beach, swimming in the sea, soaking up the sun, enjoying picnic, walking in the woods – all the things that make for enjoyable summer days.

Austin Kleon's Tape Quilts 

In Search of Alaska's Deadliest Catch: The Sea Cucumber: As a cuke deckhand, your job first and foremost consists of making sure your diver survives. Thanks Bruce!

Vizslas: The Velcro Dog I once met the sweetest vizsla outside The Pride Of Spitalfields pub in London. The owner told me that he got the dog as a pup and it has never left his side. Apparently that was the key to its placid nature.

I cannot tell you how much I covet this Reading Station

1000 Musicians play Highway to Hell  Thanks Bruce!

Insect art: Eye makeup by Duran Jay Via MeFi

Not sure I'd eat here: Is This the Saddest Pandemic Dining Experience in America? 

Let's not give them Twitter: Bat noises are not just random. 60 percent of bat calls can be sorted into four categories. Apparently they argue a lot about food. Via PfRC

Memories of the Newport Folk Festival photographer/writer Jim Brock, who has attended five of the last six festivals, shares his favorite moments and photos from those years.

On Liverpool St Station The last time I was in London I stayed in comfortable digs next to the station at the Andaz Hotel (formerly The Great Eastern). Fortunately I didn't have to spend the night shivering on a cold platform like this poor fellow.

A Covid love story: The Kingfishers That Shacked Up at the Start of the Pandemic Aren’t Sick of Each Other Yet 

Explore one of the least-visited US national parks, tucked away on a remote Michigan island that’s full of moose.

Today people take flights wearing pajama pants. A couple of years ago a guy boarded a flight from Cuba to Toronto in a Speedo and flipflops (no kidding, he sat directly in front of me!). In the golden age of travel globetrotters were a lot more stylish .

Comments

Statcounter