Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Yellow Pages Dress


I'm posting this Yellow Pages Dress because it reminds me of my own experience as a Yellow Page. After high school I took a job as a Bell Canada directory assistance operator. It was a boring job and I was pleased when I was chosen to be one of a group of young ladies who would represent the company at conventions and trade shows. We wore custom-made yellow A-line dresses made of a stiff uncreasable fabric called crimplene. The outfit was completed by a capelet.  My career as a Yellow Page was cut short when I decided I was not cut out to wear yellow crimplene and returned to school.

2 comments:

  1. What no pics?
    Was crimplene the same as or similar to those stiff petticoat things one could wear under a dress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't take many photos back then. I think I had a Polaroid Swinger but the film for it was pricey. I've tried (unsuccessfully) to find photos of the Yellow Pages online. Crimplene was a 'Fabric For The Future': https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/resources/sixties-britain/fabric-future/ Strangely, I don't see many people wearing it today.

    ReplyDelete