Sunday Links 20

Your Man For Fun In Rapidan: Some Things I Say To My Dog - a wonderful blog post via Coudal.com

From Tiny Stairs to Taxidermy Earrings, 200,000 Objects from Cooper Hewitt Go Online

Glass Bricks were created to make the world a better place. They were invented at the turn of the 20th century to provide factory workers with more natural light. Soon they moved beyond the world of industry.

The Coney Island Amateur Psychoanalytic Society is an amazing project by Scottish multimedia artist Zoe Beloff.

Chester Davis Judkins Jr: The tragic story of one man affected by the horrors of 9/11 

An Incredible Map Collection Gets Its First Physical Home Stanford University's David Rumsey Map Center is the first publicly accessible location for the over 150,000 incredible and varied maps Ramsey donated.

The term "Weapons of Math Destruction" describes the ways that sloppy statistical modeling is punishing millions of people every day, and in more and more cases, destroying lives.

Dear Mark. I am writing this to inform you that I shall not comply with your requirement to remove this picture. 

Inside Santa Monica High - A student photographer documents the timeless rituals of high school.

11 Under-the-Radar London Neighborhoods You Have to Explore. I've wandered around several of these. Will do the rest on my spring trip to London.

Atlas Obscura's Guide to the Longest Running Scientific Experiments

The Shape Of Emily’s Coffin One “fact” I’ve “known” for a long time is that Emily Brontë’s coffin was only sixteen inches wide, which was, I knew, very small. The thinness of her frame wasn’t lost on me; I was impressed with this fact every time I read it. It never occurred to me to question the veracity of this story, even though I live in a perpetual state of questioning veracity.

Pete Wells, the restaurant critic of the Times, writes a review every week and occasionally writes one that creates a national hubbub about class, money, and soup.

Tactical Urbanism: 15 Low-Cost City Hacks for Fun and Functionality 

New opioid douses pain without being addictive or deadly in primates. This might be good news for some people and perhaps even for Joyce, my opioid addicted cat.

How Elizabeth Holmes’s House of Cards Came Tumbling Down  The founder of once lauded biotech start-up Theranos, defied medical experts about the veracity of its now discredited blood-testing technology. She built a corporation based on secrecy in the hope that she could still pull it off. Then, it all fell apart.

Why Designers Love The Ampersand A romance that dates back to Pompeii.

A Millennial Reviews: The Horrors of ‘Columbo’ Columbo fails the Bechdel test harder than I failed my drug test when I applied to be the guy in the Super Mario suit in Times Square.

Why you should never ask for a slice of lemon or lime in your drink

Matsunoya, founded in 1945, is an aramono wholesaler dealing in well-made daily tools made of natural materials. Aramono includes brooms, dustpans, and sieves – the simple daily tools found in most homes just a few decades ago.

Comments

Statcounter