Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tracey Emin's Messy Bed at Tate Britain

My Bed, by British artist Tracey Emin, has gone on display at Tate Britain for the first time in 15 years. She had a breakdown in 1998 and stayed in bed for 4 days. She got up to have a glass of water and when she returned she was struck by the bed as a symbol of the decay of her life.



Emin would have liked the work to have a permanent home at Tate Britain but the gallery was outbid at the auction where it sold for £2.54m. The work was bought by the German businessman and collector Count Christian Duerckheim, who has loaned the artwork to the Tate for at least the next 10 years.
More: The Guardian

3 comments:

  1. I know many people criticize it, but I think it's a heartbreaking piece and one of the most important works of the past 25 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Simon. I was in London last week so I just missed it. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brave woman...to show to the public her own personal & private, as she said, 'the decay of her life'.

    ReplyDelete