Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Anne Frank's Marbles


70 years after Anne Frank died in a Nazi concentration camp some of her toys have been recovered. Shortly before Anne and her family went into hiding from the Nazis, she gave away some of her toys to a non-Jewish neighbourhood girlfriend, Toosje Kupers, for safekeeping. For years a tin box with the marbles remained in a cupboard, and were only discovered again during a recent house move. They will go on display for the first time this week at the Kunsthal museum in Rotterdam.

Link

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of underwhelmed.
    They're marbles. Maybe they're Anne Frank's marbles.

    Where do you draw the line, I wonder.
    Would you display a doorhandle she might have once touched?

    I've been musing on the nature of stuff, and its historical value, because I've not long ago divested myself of so much. I have things like a book my great-grandmother wrote in, as a gift to my grandmother in 1898. That's made more interesting by the inscription. But if I had marbles she'd owned at the same time? I'm not sure I'd feel the same about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't go gaga over them but others might.

    ReplyDelete