Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Julia Child's brainstormed list of titles for her book Mastering the Art of French Cooking

In this 1960 letter from Julia Child to her editor Judith Jones, the cook and author suggests a long list of potential titles for the book that eventually sold millions of copies as Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Written from Oslo, where Child had moved with her husband Paul for his State Department job, the letter is a freewheeling brainstorm, with the eventual winner penciled in at the last minute.


Mastering the Art Of French Cooking was one of the first cookbooks I bought and it still sits on a shelf in my kitchen. I saw Julia's kitchen at the Smithsonian when I visited Washington recently and was reminded of how much I loved her TV show when I was young.
 Link

1 comment:

  1. You know, when you look at the other titles she had in mind, except for a few obvious losers she could have selected almost any among the list and the book would have done just as well.

    ReplyDelete