Monday, April 22, 2013

Lisa Kokin: Sewn Found Photos




 Lisa Kokin used found photographs and pieced them together. The results are intriguing. Here is what she says about these creations:
Sometimes there are inscriptions on the back (“Susie, 7 years old”) but more often they come to me stripped of all identity. I sit in my studio and speculate about the nature of the photographed people’s lives. I will, of course, never know the truth, so I feel it is my job to give them new lives and rescue them from the obscurity they would be headed for were it not for me, humble servant of the arts. I try to invent an altogether different identity for them but of course, in the final analysis these works are more about me than any of the hundreds of anonymous individuals who appear in my work.


See more at the artist's site
Via MeFi

2 comments: