MTV, you spineless twerps


Does anyone remember Neil Young's 1988 "This Note's for You" video in which various high profile musicians are mocked for endorsing brands such as Pepsi and Michelob. MTV banned the video due to "problems with trademark infringement."? Here's Neil's response to that ban:
6th July, 1988
MTV, you spineless twerps. You refuse to play "This Note's For You" because you're afraid to offend your sponsors. What does the "M" in MTV stand for: music or money? Long live rock and roll.
Neil Young
Via Letters of Note

Comments

  1. I had no idea this Neil Young song was banned by MTV.
    Mind you, I'm in Canada...and I never gave a hoot about MTV.
    I much preferred 'The New Music'.
    As for Neil's response...spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this incident and I couldn't believe that MTV banned the song. I thought it was very uncool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter