Boycott Marineland


If you are visiting Niagara Falls and have considered adding a trip to Marineland please reconsider.
Today's Toronto Star news article about the inhumane living conditions for animals at Marineland in Niagara Falls disturbed me greatly. What is even more disturbing is that I know this is not news to local politicians, to CAZA nor to the local humane society.
Marineland has been widely criticized by international animal protection groups for decades.  Safety and health conditions have been widely criticized and many of the unfortunate animals imprisoned there simply don't survive their captivity. 
Zoocheck Canada reported many problems to relevant authorities as far back as 1998.  Investigations carried out by 13 scientific experts in a variety of disciplines such as aquarium animal husbandry, biology, conservation, ethology, marine mammal science, veterinary science, wildlife rehabilitation and zoology exposed grave concerns about the welfare of animals held at Marineland. Animal welfare groups  have also criticized Marineland's importation of Russian beluga whales and bottlenose dolphins after the Canadian government prohibited them from capturing these animals in Canadian waters. Zoocheck has been lobbying for a provincial zoo licensing act that would include standards of housing and care for animals in such facilities, and for a federal restriction on the importation of marine mammals for public display.Yet nothing has changed.
The horrific treatment of animals at Marineland should be an embarrassment to all of us. 

Comments

  1. Sharktooth7:28 pm

    O.K., it's a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharktooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Marineland.
    I've never wanted to go.
    I've always thought it to be a place of imprisonment...how ridiculous to think creatures of such a size would be content & healthy in a pool-size world.
    I liken Marineland to circuses.
    I went to a circus once, as a child...I hated it. I felt weird for years after, wondering why so many others found joy in them...thought I was just strange. Turns out many others feel the same...and for very good reason.
    Cirque du Soleil...fabulous. A circus of people. People can 'choose' to perform...that's how it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent 20 years working for politicians in the Niagara area. During that time I heard from many constituents who were concerned about the welfare of the animals at Marineland. I wrote letters to provincial ministers from all parties but no one had the will to do anything about it. I hope this publicity may be a catalyst for some kind of action.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter