Friday, May 25, 2012

First put on a fingered shoulder length glove on the arm of your choice.


Having the opportunity to explore the rumen of a fistulated cow is often once in a lifetime for most people. These cows are only found at research institutions, and public access is limited to open house events. A fistulated cow has a hole cut into her side, providing access to the rumen, one of the four chambers of her stomach. A fitting, known as a cannula, lines the hole and has a removable plug allowing access to the inside of the rumen.
I never knew that there was such a thing as a fistulated cow or that it had a rumen. Now that I know I do not have the slightest inclination to stick my arm into its stomach. But if you feel the need to do so here is how it's done:


Via FmH

7 comments:

  1. Don't do it, you wouldn't believe the smell. Worse than a burp or fart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tell me you stuck your arm in a rumen. That's disgusting! (Not that I want to be judgmental).

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, just peered in the open port on a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What on earth is the point of this?
    How incredibly invasive (pun intended) of a living being...just to say you've 'stuck your arm inside of a living cow'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't understand it either, Lsamsa. What's the attraction?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not for fun, it's science and education. The ones I've seen were all at state university agricultural schools.
    These cows lead very pampered lives. The schools want their investment to live as long as possible, far longer than others of their breed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that it's not something people do instead of going to a movie. I'm sure that from the animal's point of view it beats being eaten.

    ReplyDelete