Sunday, November 20, 2011

501 Queen Streetcar

Photo: Toronto Star


When I first moved to Toronto I was advised to live either on the subway line or along the Queen streetcar route. The streetcar route offered cheaper options so I spent many of my early days in TO traveling on the Queen car. I lived in Parkdale, Leslieville, the Beach and finally High Park.
A few years ago National Geographic magazine named the route one of the best streetcar lines in the world. The 501 Queen Streetcar travels across Toronto from the Long Branch Loop  in the west to the Neville Park Loop in the east. The Toronto Star has a special section that takes you on a trip along the route.  
Visit some of my old haunts like the Horseshoe Tavern and others I've never been to like Wicked Club. Check out Dangerous Dan's Diner, a carnivore's dream. Read some poems.
I learned that there are 300,000 bees call the roof of  the Canadian Opera Company home.


Photo: Toronto Star

Photo Richard Lautens/Star
Author Robert Priest waits for the Queen streetcar while trying to keep out of the rain.
If you're visiting Toronto a ride on the 501 is one of the best ways to see the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment