Don't get pompous with me

Having recently been interviewed for Rolling Stone in 1996, an angryHunter S. Thompson writes a heated letter to his good friend and long-time collaborator, illustrator Ralph Steadman, and threatens to sever their relationship. Steadman's sturdy response is golden.
Oct20'96
Owl Farm

Dear Ralph,

It never occurred to me that Jann was going to publish those ugly, denigrating cartoons you spit out a few months ago about my internal organs. I thought you had sent them to me as just another one of our shared hideous jokes. How the fuck did Jann get his hands on them?

In any case, I'm about to sever all relationship(s) with him -- and with You, if necessary -- if he prints that pasty bag of insults in RS. You might enjoy that Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas "celebration" in New York next month, but you'll enjoy it without me. Maybe you can do a cute cartoon about vultures feeding on my (absent) carcass.

Well.... your FAX isn't working tonight, so I can't send this stuff thru to you. Very clever, Ralph. But if yr. (admittedly) artistic cartoons of me appear in RS this week, you and I have had our last Scotch together.

Thanx for the laughs. Yrs,

Hunter
Read Ralph's response and see the offending illustration at Letters of Note

Comments

Statcounter