Thursday, February 03, 2011

Beatniks

John Cassavetes, who died 22 years ago today, was the title character in the short lived TV show Johnny Staccato, which aired for one season in 1959. In the episode “The Poet’s Touch,” jazz musician and detective Staccato mingles with the beatniks of Greenwich Village and gets propositioned by the stunningly beautiful and bohemian Sylvia Lewis.


When I was a kid I wanted to be a beatnik. On Halloween I wore black eyeliner,  a long baggy sweater over black tights and snapped my fingers chanting "cool man cool", a mini female Maynard G. Krebs.
Dangerous Minds

2 comments:

  1. Me too!! Grade 8 school play...I got to be a beatnik, wearing my black tights & my huge mohair sweater (pastel yellow)...and yes, Mom's eyeliner & eyeshadow.
    Maynard G. Krebs...haven't heard that name in years..."work!!!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up to be a hippie instead of a beatnik and replaced the tights with worn out jeans.

    ReplyDelete