Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pour la suite du monde

I visited Ile-aux-Coudres last month. The St. Lawrence is wide there and it smells like the sea.
"This feature-length documentary is the unrehearsed story of what happened when old-timers from Ile-aux-Coudres, a small island in the St. Lawrence River, were persuaded to revive a local whale-catching practice. Through the magic of words and the mystery of the catch, the film uncovers a spirituality rooted in the moon and the rhythm of the tides. More than a documentary; it is a fresco of the myths and legends among the traditional fishing communities of Quebec. In French with English subtitles."

4 comments:

  1. OK this is really too scary! I don't know any other person who has been to Ile-aux-Coudres. We went there beforewe moved to Toronto and I thought it was a great place.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, darn you.
    I’ll just watch a few minutes, says I.
    Just to see what it’s like, says I.
    Just a little more, says I.
    106 minutes later... I’m late, says I.
    The innocent side of the ‘60s... great stuff, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake, it seems that you've been everywhere. I'm in the Veneto right now, listening to a party they're throwing in the square we face on. It went on all last night and shows no sign of letting up. We're just about to go down and grab some risotto from a stand up bar. If you can't beat 'em join "em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you can see, Bruce, I've found wireless. Yay!

    ReplyDelete