Friday, October 29, 2010

Old vs New

In this photo essay Lajos Geenen looks at the effect development has on a Long Island City neighbourhood.  This is a contentious issue in my community as well. Can heritage be preserved? Is change inevitable? Can it be managed?


"By documenting the slow but certain demise of these views,or perceptions thereof,I’m visualizing my own relationship to this problem. As both a newcomer and someone who decided to live in an old building instead of the new towers,I was trying to relate to the feeling of suffocation that was described to me by some older residents, but was having a hard time doing so. Maybe it was the location of my fourth floor walkup apartment, or the lack of fear of being pushed out of the neighborhood, but it could also be a cultural-generational issue. "

No comments:

Post a Comment