Wright's touch brought Fox Point home to life


It was a sub-zero day in February 1946, and Albert 'Ollie' Adelman stood at the door of the most famous architect in America.

Adelman had left his Plymouth running to keep the car warm. Equipped with a list of what he needed in a new house, he asked the housekeeper who answered the door for just 15 minutes of Frank Lloyd Wright's time.

'I introduced myself and said I would like to see Mr. Wright for 15 minutes - that's all I need him for,' Adelman recalls.

Adelman, who retired as chairman of the Adelman Travel Group last year, and his wife, Edie, then had three sons, Lynn, Gary and Craig, all under age 5. They'd met as college students at Northwestern, on a blind date.

'The second date we went on, I said, 'You know, I'm going to marry you when I get out of school. I'm just telling ya,' ' Adelman says. 'She said she'd have to think that over.'

They lived in a Shorewood duplex with one bathroom. His wife had begun to ask her husband just when they were going to get a bigger house. Ollie Adelman would later write in an aptly titled autobiography, 'All Things Are Possible,' that he and his wife wanted 'something different from the usual colonial home. . . . I didn't want to live in a cracker box.

More at
JSOnline
Via

Comments

Statcounter