Bear Dance

I saw a poster of this scene last year and really liked it. When I returned to purchase it the store had vapourized. I searched the internet for it to no avail. Now lo and behold it has appeared on John's wonderful blog!


Via Uncertain Times

More about this painting: This undated painting by William Holbrook Beard (1824-1900) depicts an exclusive party of bears dancing to a dip in the stockmarket in a forest clearing. This is one of the most popular paintings in the New York Historical Society's collection. It was told that a reproduction of it hangs in the nurseries of many babies born to those who work on Wall Street. But junior needn't know about the bulls and bears just yet -- like many viewers, small children might mistake this scene for a teddy bear picnic. This painting is also known as The Bears of Wall Street Celebrating a Drop in the Stock Market and The Wall Street Jubilee.

Comments

  1. I had hoped to find a better image, but that was the best I could find.

    I love this painting. I'd really like to examine the detail.

    Be sure to check out the others on art_links. He was good with bears.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter