The words of God do not justify cruelty to women

I have never doubted that Jimmy Carter was a good man. This confirms my opinion:
My decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when th e convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be 'subservient' to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service. This was in conflict with my belief - confirmed in the holy scriptures - that we are all equal in the eyes of God.
Via

Comments

  1. As a new Episcopalian I appreciate his stand. The Bible and God are used best when they are used to help all of us avoid degradation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I believed in hell or god I would say there should be a special (extra hot) place there for those who practice discrimination in his name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remarkable. Dare I say, this takes major balls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter