On This Day - April 26, 1959

Recently, as a representative of the local MP, I attended the annual Top Hat Ceremony in Thorold to celebrate the annual re- opening of the Welland Canal. The 50th Anniversary of the St. Lawrence Seaway was also being celebrated. That's a significant milestone, I thought to myself, the Seaway is pretty old. Then, as if hit by a lightning bolt, a repressed memory reared it's ugly head. I remembered attending the opening ceremony of the opening of the Seaway in Caughnawaga, Quebec. I was in my father's arms and my parents encouraged me to wave to Queen Elizabeth II as she sailed by on the Royal Yacht Britannia. I'm older than the frickin' Seaway. Waah! Anyhow, if you're interested in ships and locks and engineering marvels and whatnot check out the video at the CBC Archives.

Comments

Statcounter