Thursday, February 12, 2009

Museum of Broken Relationships


A Box made of Matches
1973-2000
Maribor, Slovenia

A box – Jelka, Vlado, November 15, 1975. Vlado made it after the wedding, when he was in the army. After 18 years of marriage he left me for another woman; we officially divorced after our 25th wedding anniversary. I decided to surprise him for the anniversary. I ordered a cake with the number 25 written on it and the pastry shop cut it in half. I sent him the half with the 25. Our sons celebrated our anniversary first with me and then with their father. He and his girlfriend were very shocked but they ate the cake anyway. The cake is gone and so is our marriage. I still have the box, two sons and a lot of memories…

Museum of Broken Relationships
Via

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, and for the referral to the Museum's website. Gave me lots to think about in terms of what happens when personal memories are made public.

    Just turned on CBC radio, and Gian Ghomeshi is about to do a piece on this project in a few minutes. But I read about it in your blog first!

    ReplyDelete