The Life And Death Of Yukio Mishima


Yukio Mishima died on this day 1970

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:41 pm

    There are things so contemptible about Mishima -- the WWII draft-dodger who became a militant critic of the Emperor for surrendering, the openly fascist/hidden gay, the adorer of death and acolyte of suicide -- that it is hard to read his work without prejudice. Sea of Fertility is full of so much good writing in service of so much horrific BS that I am left with stunned judgement. Perhaps the worst thing about Mishima is the manner in which he attracted followers and self-sacrificing lovers. In literary terms, perhaps his worst legacy is inciting, by example, the suicide of Yasunari Kawabata who was at least his equal as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I haven't analyzed Mishima's life. I'm not an admirer of the cult of suicide. It's been a while since I've read him but I do know that his writing intrigued me - perhaps Ill have to take a second look.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter