Sunday, November 02, 2008

Architectural Follies

A folly is a building constructed strictly as a decoration, having none of the usual purposes of housing or sheltering associated with a conventional structure. They originated as decorative accents in parks and estates. "Folly" is used in the sense of fun or light-heartedness, not in the sense of something ill-advised. - Wikipedia
I became interested in garden follies when I saw a neighbour constructing this charming structure in his back yard:



On my most recent visit to France I got my fill of follies at Versailles where the gardens are littered with pavilions and belvederes. Marie Antoinette's Le Hameau is a little village composed of rustic garden follies that she used as a retreat when the pressure of palace life overwhelmed her.

In the gardens of the Petit Trianon, VersaillesBelvedere at the Trianon, Versailles

Le Hameau, Versailles

There were also follies in the parks of Paris:

Classical colonnade at le Parc Monceau

Bois de Vincennes

Here are a few related links:
Follies of Versailles
European Follies, Photography Nic Barlow
Folly Fancier

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:17 am

    Are these really your photos? They're great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the photos.I took all of them except the one of my neighbour's yard. Mr. Nag took that one.

    ReplyDelete