Sunday, July 06, 2008

Living On the Edge

One thing you might not know about The Nag is that I am, and always have been, terrified of heights. My last holiday consisted of excursions to hilltop towns in Spain and France. Sounds nice, doesn't it? But I was driven not only to the edge of cliffs but also to the brink of nervous collapse. I spent much of the time on the road yipping and yelping, hyperventilating and clinging to Mr. Nag who was serenely oblivious to the danger that lurked around each twist in the road. I experienced similar stomach churning experiences in Sicily the year before. I now take terrain into consideration when planning trips. You might think the village below is picturesque but it makes me want to vomit.
This is Bonifacio in Corsica . This fragile looking citadel sits precariously above limestone cliffs which over the years have been battered by the Mediterranean Sea, a process which is apparent by both the piles of eroded stone at the base and the overhang of the cliff walls.

See more terrifying dwelling places at deputydog.

No comments:

Post a Comment